Saturday 14 October 2017

West Country Food Company, Winchester, UK

West Cornwall Food Co, Winchester
I love Cornish pasties and I'm so glad that somebody had the good sense to develop a foodservice brand around them. Today there's a handful of operators and most of the time they're kiosks on railway station concourses or part of a shopping mall food court. Fine, but make no mistake, the pasty is one of those difficult-to-eat products, especially on the move. Countless times I've dropped chunks of meat on myself while trying to take a bite out of something that really needs a knife, fork and, of course, a plate and a table.

Imagine, then, my delight when I found myself in Winchester looking for something to eat for lunch and spying a West Cornwall Food Company outlet bang in the middle of town – and what's more there was an upstairs seating area! Coffee and a pasty! What could be better? Well, a table and some knives and forks made the whole experience that little bit better as I left the place without gravy stains on my trousers.

If you're hungry, you can't beat a pasty; they're very filling and will keep you going until dinner time, which is all I really want. So, hats off to West Cornwall Food Company for a great traditional pasty and a decent cup of coffee.

The only negative point about the Winchester West Country Food Co. outlet was that they were slow clearing the tables. I had to move somebody else's debris to another table and I noticed that other tables needed clearing too. This, of course, is basics, and needs to be addressed, but other than that, there's not much to say about a pasty and a cup of coffee, they're not exactly the height of culinary excellence by any stretch of the imagination, but they fill a hole and they're fantastic.

As for Winchester, in all honesty I found it a bit boring. Alright, there's the cathedral (yawn!) and a Turner exhibition (yawn!) but outside of that, for me at any rate, the pasty was the highlight of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment