Friday 1 December 2017

Chartwell House, Westerham, Kent.

Nothing better than a National Trust property if you like a bit of cake and pot of tea or if you want something a little more substantial, like a hot meal. Once you've finished stuffing your face you've always got plenty of grounds surrounding whatever property you're visiting; so there's ample opportunity to stretch your legs and burn off all those calories.

Tuscan bean soup, a roll and a mince pie!
I've been to many a National Trust property and often return to my favourites, like Sheffield Park and Wakefield Place and, if I'm really honest, I don't visit these places to admire the house and its history, I'm only there for the cake or a hot meal, accompanied, as always, by tea. Wonderful! I'm also keen on the National Trust shops because they sell relaxation and comfort, from paperweights to weighty tomes on something connected to the place I'm visiting, or picnic blankets and scented candles, it's all good comforting stuff, even if there's an element of 'old fogey' about it.

Last weekend (the weekend before the beginning of December) I headed to Chartwell in Westerham, Kent. Why? Well, because it's nearby (only 11 miles) and the plan, as always, is to indulge in some cake or a savoury snack and then walk it off around the grounds. It was lunch time when we arrived and there was a Christmas market in full swing – National Trust properties are always very festive – so after a brief look at the stalls we headed for the café where I chose a warming Tuscan bean soup with bread and a mince pie thrown in for good measure (I never used to like mince pies or Christmas pudding for that matter, but now I love them). And before you ask, yes, I like sprouts too.

The busy servery counter at Chartwell House
The café here is cafeteria style and on our visit, because of the Christmas market, it was very busy. So busy I almost couldn't find a table. But eventually I found somewhere, opposite a large and well-decorated Christmas tree, and settled down to eat my soup, which really did the job. Perfect. I followed up with the mince pie and then took a stroll around the grounds. Excellent. It's so good that I'll be back again this coming weekend as they have something festive going on, which means more food!

December is a good time to check out National Trust properties (those that are open beyond October) as they offer a lot of festive activity which can be combined with some hearty food and a decent walk – not to forget some decent cakes and pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment